Sunday, April 14, 2013

A vintage Denholms find

Vintage DG Williams mannequin from Denholms

Recently I was so lucky to find a vintage Denholms mannequin.  She is from the vendor D.G Williams who was the premier mannequin manufacturer during the 50's and 60's.  Denholms bought a large lot of these mannequins to be used in the better Dress department as well as the Salisbury shop.  I am having her fully restored to save into my collection as well as a possible use in an upcoming exhibit. 

Her original face
same mannequin in original form

 These are the proper arms which I am having put back onto her, as well as recreating the auburn 1960's hairstyle and stiff buckram lashes.
Mannequins from the DG Williams collection showcased at Denholms




Adel Rootstein mannequins at Ralph Lauren
 Many people don't realize how much body styles change in mannequins over the years.  The vintage DG Williams is 5'7" tall and her measurements are 32"26"32".  The mannequins I presently work with are from Adel Rootstein and they run 5'11-6' tall and they are 34"27"34". 

If anyone knows of the wearabouts of any Denholms mannequins or fixtures from either the Worcester of Auburn store, Please let me know.
Best,
Christopher


7 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see your latest addition to the Denholms collection. Went to a few antique shops over the weekend...nothing Denholms but I keep looking and the shop keepers are looking for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This addition is so enjoyed by me. I worked with DG Williams mannequins years ago. They were so beautiful. Even the little children were so pretty with those small wrists and big pixie eyes and beautiful hard wigs. Good luck with the bulcrum lashes. They used to be hand crafted and I'm not sure if many people do that anymore. When I used to sent my vintage Rootsteins out to be refinished, I would take off the bulcrum lashes before I sent them out and told the refinisher not to put on any lashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shillmans, so great to hear from you! Long time no talk. Thank you, I love the old D.G Williams mannequins. I did find a gentleman named David Costa from Dash-n-Dazzle who is so amazing at refinishing old mannequins. I thought by now I would have had restored, but instead she is in my basement.
      Thanks again for posting, and great to reconnect with you!

      Delete
  3. Love this - I have a few dg Williams that I am restoring - the faces are so calm and elegant - todays realistic mannequins just look like they are pissed off ! This site is great! I was the visual manager at macys downtown Brooklyn for 13 years - former A and S -8 windows - but I started back in 1978 at wards - and I remember using this type of manni- thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, thank you so much for your reply. By any chance do you have any photos of your D.G Williams mannequin? I would love to see. I want to get mine refurbished and her right arm corrected. Do you restore mannequins?
      Best,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. To create and deliver the right property office space for rent in patpargaj industrial area, Delhi , it’s always good to consult experienced team who are engaged effectively with customers and stay ahead of competition. Atozestates.com is one such name where you can find the best office space for rent in patparganj industrial area on the spot.
    Office space on rent in Patparganj Industrial area, Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandfather and uncle managed D.G. Williams in Brooklyn ... 1940s, 1950s, 1960s. I remember Twiggy heads being designed and decorated. And a big, frightening "room" where they baked the mannequins. (Forgive me if my terms are wrong.)

    ReplyDelete